Intel PEAP client "Roaming Identity"

Ben Thompson bt4 at york.ac.uk
Thu Sep 15 18:25:38 CEST 2005

Hi

We have a 802.1x/PEAP wireless network using freeRADIUS 1.0.1 on RedHat
AS 4. It is important for us to know who is using the network at any
given time so the accounting logs are very useful to us. The other day
someone came along with a laptop using an Intel wireless adapter and
client software. In the configuration settings for this program there
was a place to enter a username and password for PEAP authentication and
there was also a field named "Roaming Identity" which as default was set
to "anonymous at myabc.com". The client conected up fine, but when I
checked the RADIUS accounting logs I noticed that the username for that
client was listed as anonymous at myabc.com instead of the one I expected.
After a bit of googling in found this link on the Dell website which
describes that the roaming identity is only required for MS RADIUS
servers :-
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/network/P72721/en/UtilAdv.htm
Could anyone advise me whether it is possible to configure my server so
that the actual username used get's logged in the accounting records
instead of this roaming identity string?

Many Thanks

Ben Thompson