Crashes with 1.0.4/1.0.5, perhaps connected with slow LDAP backend?

Martin Pauly pauly at hrz.uni-marburg.de
Wed Sep 28 11:33:22 CEST 2005

Hi,

we seem to have a stability issue with freeradius 1.0.4/1.0.5:
1.0.4 crashed in short sequence on both of my redundant servers
during my vacation -- not much of a trace in the logfiles.

On Monday, I upgraded to 1.0.5 with everything looking fine for
almost 2 days. Yesterday, we started polling the servers regularly
from a NAGIOS system, using the check_rad NAGIOS plugin.

On server (the one processing the highest number of requests)
crashed twice yesterday; this time it complained about
"Unresponsive child" processes in close temporal correlation.

We do have perfomance problems with our LDAP backend,
so this sound reasonable, but could this cause the server to crash?

During testing, I also encountered a situation where the freeradius
process lived on, but became comletely unresponsive; I had to to kill -9

What should I do to track down these issues? Does running in full debug
mode for days make sense?

Thanks, Martin

--
  Dr. Martin Pauly     Fax:    49-6421-28-26994
  HRZ Univ. Marburg    Phone:  49-6421-28-23527