freeradius and MS SQL -- anyone got it working?

Duane Cox duanec at mail.illicom.net
Fri Sep 30 15:28:39 CEST 2005

There are a few qwerks with getting FreeRadius to work with MSSQL.

First thing, the FreeTDS files have been removed (more like abandonded) from
FreeRadius.
If you really want to call FreeTDS direclty, you will have to download the
files from the "attic".
But more than that you will also have to update the files as they do not
currently compile properly, they are a bit old.
I would suggest to go with unixodbc or iodbc, even though using FreeTDS is
IMHO the best way, it's not supported.

Second, in order to get MSSQL to work with the current version of FreeRadius
1.0.5, you will need to install either unixodbc or iodbc.  I chose unixodbc;
and in doing so it requires FreeTDS.  So install both FreeTDS and unixODBC.

Third.  You will need to include mssql.conf and call rlm_sql_unixodbc.  The
mssql.conf has to many tricks to it.  First the default driver is invalid
and the "server" is really the DSN and must match that name found in
/etc/odbc.ini.  Also /etc/odbc.ini must be readable by the freeradius
daemon.  Also, there is an extra statement in the mssql.conf that is totaly
not used and can be deleted; it's "authenticate_query".

These things should help you out.  If you need any further assistance, ie.
configure/make commands and file contents ask again.

Good Luck
Duane

Hi list,

What is the status of MS SQL support for freeradius? Did anyone get it
working? And if yes, which version do you use and what is required to
get it work?
I'm currently using freeradius 1.0.2 on Debian Sarge and I didn't manage
to get it connect to the MS SQL server. As the rlm_sql_freetds module
states that it is under development ans so, not enabled by default, I
was wondering, if the iODBC or the unixodbc modules would work and if
yes, how to set this up (aside from freeradius.. seems the 'drivers'
are missing, whatever this means).

Need some help here. Anyone?

Cheers
Arne