Couldn't stop freeradius server!!

lmyho lm_yho at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 4 11:11:13 CEST 2006

Hi All,

Installed freeradius 1.1.0-1 on debian system (2.6.15-1-686).  The radius server
started automatically well each time when the system booting. But I wanted to stop
it to do some testing using my modified configuration files. I tried to stop the
server using command: 'freeradius stop' ('radiusd' doesn't work on this debian -
anyone knows why??)

But so werid, no matter what command I gave, with parameter stop|start|restart, the
server ALWAYS goes to START again!! even from the /etc/init.d/freeradius I can read
that the 'stop' param should stop the server!  Can anyone tell me why the command
couldn't stop the server?? and how should I stop it??

The log file shows entries like this for each of my trying, even the command viven
was to "stop":

Tue Apr  4 01:14:13 2006 : Info: Using deprecated naslist file.  Support for this
will go away soon.
Tue Apr  4 01:14:13 2006 : Error: There appears to be another RADIUS server running
on the authenticat

What is happenning here?  (I couldn't top the running deamon, so is the 2nd line
above)

Also, from the log file I noticed: even when the system automatically started the
freeradius server deamon, it was "Using deprecated naslist file". Log entries show
like this:

Fri Mar 31 13:51:54 2006 : Info: Using deprecated naslist file.  Support for this
will go away soon.
Fri Mar 31 13:51:54 2006 : Info: rlm_exec: Wait=yes but no output defined. Did you
mean output=none?
Fri Mar 31 13:51:55 2006 : Info: Ready to process requests.

Can anyone tell me what is happenning here?? Why it's using the deprecating naslist
file? The installed radiusd.conf file doesn't show the server will use the naslist
file at all! from where I can stop the server to use this deprecating file?  Also
what does the 2nd line of the above log entries mean?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you so much for help in advance!!

Best regrads,
leo