Couldn't stop freeradius server!!

monish ar monish.ar at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 15:46:09 CEST 2006

On 4/4/06, lmyho <lm_yho at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Installed freeradius 1.1.0-1 on debian system (2.6.15-1-686).  The radius
> server
> started automatically well each time when the system booting. But I wanted
> to stop
> it to do some testing using my modified configuration files. I tried to
> stop the
> server using command: 'freeradius stop' ('radiusd' doesn't work on this
> debian -
> anyone knows why??)
>
> But so werid, no matter what command I gave, with parameter
> stop|start|restart, the
> server ALWAYS goes to START again!! even from the /etc/init.d/freeradius I
> can read
> that the 'stop' param should stop the server!  Can anyone tell me why the
> command
> couldn't stop the server?? and how should I stop it??
>
> The log file shows entries like this for each of my trying, even the
> command viven
> was to "stop":
>
> Tue Apr  4 01:14:13 2006 : Info: Using deprecated naslist file.  Support
> for this
> will go away soon.
> Tue Apr  4 01:14:13 2006 : Error: There appears to be another RADIUS
> server running
> on the authenticat
>
> What is happenning here?  (I couldn't top the running deamon, so is the
> 2nd line
> above)
>
> Also, from the log file I noticed: even when the system automatically
> started the
> freeradius server deamon, it was "Using deprecated naslist file". Log
> entries show
> like this:
>
> Fri Mar 31 13:51:54 2006 : Info: Using deprecated naslist file.  Support
> for this
> will go away soon.
> Fri Mar 31 13:51:54 2006 : Info: rlm_exec: Wait=yes but no output defined.
> Did you
> mean output=none?
> Fri Mar 31 13:51:55 2006 : Info: Ready to process requests.
>
> Can anyone tell me what is happenning here?? Why it's using the
> deprecating naslist
> file? The installed radiusd.conf file doesn't show the server will use the
> naslist
> file at all! from where I can stop the server to use this deprecating
> file?  Also
> what does the 2nd line of the above log entries mean?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you so much for help in
> advance!!
>
> Best regrads,
> leo

 Instead of using the command to stop the radius daemon, herez another
simple way.....
 At the console type " ps -ax | grep radiusd" , this will give u the list of
radius servers currently
 along with its process IDs. The next thing u do is type " kill pid# " ,
PID# refers to the process
 id number of ur currently running radius daemon. Hope it helps...
 Dunno bout the NAS list though...