How to make FR reset the logs

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu Apr 6 23:29:12 CEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-04 at 14:12 -0400, Dennis Skinner wrote:
> Guy Fraser wrote:
> > vacuum;
>
> This is not a MySQL command.
>
> You probably want to look at CHECK TABLE, REPAIR TABLE, and OPTIMIZE
> TABLE.  But we are getting off topic here....
>
> I will note that FreeRADIUS performance had significant improvements
> once the tables were changed to InnoDB from MyISAM, especially the
> radacct table as that fills up quick if you don't archive regularly.

I said :

"
I don't use MySQL very often so do not know for sure if this would
work, but here goes a simple example :

select * into radacct_old from radacct where AcctStopTime < '2006-04-01
00:00:00' ;

delete from radacct where AcctStopTime < '2006-04-01 00:00:00' ;

vacuum;

If you intend on using MySQL you will need to learn how to use
it. There are many functions and some may help you do what
you want.
"

I prefer PostgreSQL, which is SQL92 compliant and does support
the SQL VACUUM command. MySQL database maintenance is of little
interest to me, because I do not think it is good for anything
but text and blob storage, and I don't need that very often.
Since nobody else had attempted to answer the posters question
I suggested a possible method he could try, and suggested he
learn how to maintain MySQL if he intends on using it. I REALLY
do NOT want to get into a flame war over the differences between
MySQL and PostgreSQL. I based my sample on SQL standard commands
hoping that MySQL would support them, but having suggested that
they may not work without specifying why, may have left it open
for interpretation. I am sure that for those who know MySQL well
it works very well for them, but I don't care to spend the time
learning how to do things the MySQL way.

I have provided some assistance ensuring that the MySQL and
PostgreSQL drivers had the same functionality, and have a
MySQL db on the R&D machine for that purpose, but do not
have any intention on using it for production. The
PostgreSQL db I use for my custom Cistron server has operated
flawlessly and at high efficiency since it was installed
over 5 years ago. Since the Software and Hardware are long in
the tooth, I will be upgrading them in the near future. I have
been helping with the development of FreeRadius for a couple
years, in preparation for this long anticipated upgrade. Once
I have a good Management interface I will upgrade. I have
spent a few days building some functions and others have been
spending considerable time on similar projects, and some of
us have agreed to share, our work in order to move this along,
so I am hoping to have a new server in place by years end.

Good luck, and have a great day.