More documentation on Auth-Type

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Aug 7 03:08:48 CEST 2006

"Rohaizam Abu Bakar" <haizam at myjaring.net> wrote:
> I've read the docs about auth-type configuration. And agree that without
> setting auth-type and leave FR to auto detect it, the auth will work even up
> to EAP. But sometimes we have to specify auth-type in order to search for
> different tree in LDAP

  ... which isn't authentication.  You just described searching an
LDAP tree for information.  That's using LDAP for what it was designed
to do best: database lookups.

  Once the information is found in LDAP, the RADIUS server can do
CHAP, MS-CHAP, etc. for authentication.  LDAP servers don't handle
those authentication protocols, so you're stuck with using LDAP for DB
lookups, and RADIUS for authentication.

> normally EAP sequence works OK but when up to comparing password, it will
> failed. I've reported my problem a few times in mailing list.

  I don't recall seeing that, sorry.  What was the problem?