user auth against mysql

Tue Aug 8 21:22:24 CEST 2006

Hello list,

I have 1 freeradius server doing 'authentication only' to different
types of backends:

user at realm1 -> freerad -> MS-AD1
user at realm2 -> freerad -> OpenLDAP
user at realm3 -> freerad -> other_radius
user at realm4 -> freerad -> MS-AD2

Now I want to add:

user at realm5 -> freerad -> MySQL

I do NOT administrate this MySQL database and I have just
'databasename + username field + password field' and I just have access
to this db to authenticate. Nothing more than that.

As I never played with the combination Freeradius/MySQL, I set up a
test server according to this documentation:

http://www.frontios.com/freeradius.html

I set up a db with the db_mysql.sql file that comes with freeradius and
this server works perfectly well.

Two questions:

1) the sql.conf file is filled up with things I do not need, because the
MySQL db has no structure that corresponds to the sql.conf file. Can I
simply uncomment all lines I do not need?

2) in the accounting and authorize part of radiusd.conf there is an
entry "sql", but not in "authenticate" as where I'd expect such an
entry. Why is that?

R.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak
aloud and remove all doubt.