Reject packet with zero length

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun Aug 13 17:23:33 CEST 2006

<muralidhar.gangaraju at wipro.com> wrote:
>             We are using FreeRADIUS server for one of our requirements
> and we saw freeradius server sending a reject packet with zero length
> attributes.

  Do you have example packets?

>             Could anybody of u can help me in understanding in what
> circumstances FreeRadius server will send a reject packet with zero
> length attributes in between the access challenges OR access requests.

  It happens when you configure it to send zero-length attributes...

> In the normal scenario when the password or certificate mismatch is
> found the FreeRADIUS sends an access-Reject packet with EAP-Message and
> message Authenticator.
> But in the below case it does not send any attributes.

  Access-Reject packets are normally empty.  They do *not* contain
zero-length attributes, they contain *no* attributes.

>             One such instance where we observed radius server sending
> reject packet with zero attributes is as follows.
>     rlm_realm: No '@' in User-Name =3D "root", looking up realm NULL
>     rlm_realm: No such realm "NULL"
>
> Please let me know if u need any more information.

  The debug log you posted doesn't show the server sending ANY
response.

  And an Access-Reject with no attributes is fine.