PAP questions.

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Aug 23 00:04:08 CEST 2006

Keith Woodworth <kwoody at citytel.net> wrote:
> One of the things I did try was add PAP to the authorize section, but
> radius failed to start when I did that.

  And the error message was...?

> Deployingradius.com did say there were very few circumstances to set
> Auth-Type, but not which ones. Guess I found one?

  Possibly.  Much of this is fixed in CVS head, which is currently
planned to be 2.0 before Christmas.  The PAP module does more there,
and there are MANY fewer cases where you have to set Auth-Type.

> How stable is the current server version? Anyone using it in production?

  Yes.  A number of people.  There are 3 issues that need addressing
before it's ready for an official 2.0, however.

> Sounds like I might have to be using the CVS version to do what I want
> properly of only having the user in one table and do PAP authentication
> with the crypt password stored in sql.

  1.1.2 can do it, it just takes a little more configuration.
Basically, for every user who has a Crypt-Password attribute, you have
to set "Auth-Type = Local".    Not ":=", but "=".

  And in 2.0, even that won't be necessary.