Cannot compile and run on Mac OS X 10.4.7

Stephen Gran steve at lobefin.net
Thu Aug 24 16:51:16 CEST 2006

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 09:02:43AM -0500, Michael Check said:
> On 8/23/06, Stephen Gran <steve at lobefin.net> wrote:
> >I _think_ that it blows up in rlm_exec because it's the first module
> >that uses a symbol from the radiusd binary (as opposed to a library).
> >I also think this has something to do with the mystery that is OS X's
> >linker namespaces.  Beyond that, I'm starting to flounder.  I have no
> >Mac machine handy to test these assumptions on (and I'm not even sure
> >how I would test the second one), so I can't really say much more, sorry.
>
> In terms of accessing binaries or libs, would it have anything to do
> with permissions?  Is that possible?
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on using, perhaps, a previous
> version?  Or some experience with using a certain version of the OSX
> developer tools for compiling?  I know these questions are a bit
> obtuse, but I'd like help in even a direction to pursue.

I found someone with OS X 10.4, and we built 1.1.3, 1.1.2, and
1.0.something.  They all failed in similar ways to what you are
reporting.

> >If you don't actually need the modules that cause problems, you can
> >comment the references out and see if that gets you by.
>
> OK, where to do that?  In the original make file?

In radiusd.conf.  They only cause problems at run time.

> >Good luck, and sorry, but without something to test on, I'm out of
> >ideas.
>
> Thanks, I'll need the luck, I guess.

[snip]

> So, similar problem, different module.  Am I on to something here?
> Can someone tell me what I am on to? :)

The problem is that these modules try to use symbols from the radiusd
binary, and the OS X linker isn't very clever about dlopen'ed modules or
plugins - it has a whole other way of doing it with namespaces and so
forth that fails in this instance.  This part of the discussion (how
linking works) is starting to wander off topic for this mailing list,
but I'd be happy to talk about it or give you pointers to links to learn
more on your own off list.

Take care,
|  Stephen Gran                  | If imprinted foil seal under cap is     |
|  steve at lobefin.net             | broken or missing when purchased, do    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | not  use.                               |