New to FreeRADIUS and looking for answers...

Scott Holland hollstar2047 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 26 08:41:53 CEST 2006

Hi Guys,

I'd like to begin by saying I'm new, 100% in fact to both Linux and
FreeRADIUS. Having said that, I am in a position where by I feel I need to
use both to overcome certain problems I am having at work. Allow me to offer
a very brief overview as I don't want to waste anyones time:

We have a building with 10+ WAP. They are connected to an ADSL2 service
which is being abused by staff. I now have a HP DL340 1U Server, ready to be
set up as a FreeRADIUS box but, have no clue as to how.

In short, I need to better monitor what users are doing and restrict the
level of access they have such as what websites they can visit and so on. In
part, I feel FreeRADIUS can help.

Having said all this, I'm at a loss like so many people it would seem with
the FreeRADIUS concept. It appears powerfull on the surface however I seem
to be unable to find any good material on the subject. Most of it, is old
and dated.

Yes, the documentation is good, but I see nothing that really guides you,
step by step, in learning this complex program....

While I'd love someone to spend the time to help, I don't expect it! What I
would like, is someone to help me by pointing me in the right direction! I
have been looking at the book RADIUS, which is currently very hard to get
here in Australia. So hard, I'd have to get it from the US and wait around
eight weeks as the publisher is yet to reprint a book first written back in
2002...

I hope you can understand where I am coming from and I look forward to any
help people can offer.

Regards,

Scott