New to FreeRADIUS and looking for answers...

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sat Aug 26 18:15:35 CEST 2006

"Scott Holland" <hollstar2047 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> In short, I need to better monitor what users are doing and restrict the
> level of access they have such as what websites they can visit and so on. In
> part, I feel FreeRADIUS can help.

  Unfortunately, probably not.  RADIUS is about obtaining network
access, not about controlling users once they have network access.

  You might be able to send filter rules to the access points, which
do IP layer filtering.  e.g. blocking outbound port 80, or forcing it
to go through a proxy.  Even with that, you'll have to consult the NAS
documentation to see if it's possible, and how to do it.

  As for blocking web sites, you'll have to install a web proxy, and
do the blocking there.  RADIUS just isn't the solution to that
problem, but it can help.  Maybe.  You may be better off just adding
hard-coded rules with AP's that force outbound port 80 to go through a
web proxy.  You may not even need RADIUS at all.

> While I'd love someone to spend the time to help, I don't expect it! What I
> would like, is someone to help me by pointing me in the right direction! I
> have been looking at the book RADIUS, which is currently very hard to get
> here in Australia. So hard, I'd have to get it from the US and wait around
> eight weeks as the publisher is yet to reprint a book first written back in
> 2002...

  It didn't sell well.  But I'm in the process of writing a book,
which should be available before Christmas.