New to FreeRADIUS and looking for answers...

Scott Holland hollstar2047 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 27 15:17:10 CEST 2006

Hi Geoff,

I would agree nothing like winning and making it work! I have made the jump
from software development to more server and networking stuff so I
understand where you are coming from. Having said that, I for one like to
see projects, or examples of how to handle a certain task and then be forced
to go away and make it work - This, is what programming is often about.

The situation with FreeRADIUS is much the same in some respects its just the
documentation that comes with the package doesn't really point you in the
right direction in terms of how to go about a complete set up based on XYZ
requirements.

As an example, I'd like to set up a FreeRADIUS server. I of course want it
to be secure, but I'm not sure if I can get away with not using
certificates. I don't know what the pros and cons are?

I'd also like to use a MySQL backend again because of the things I have done
with the language and PHP but again, what are the pros and cons to this?
Does this (in FreeRADIUS) act as the accounting part of the FreeRADIUS
package and what exactly does it count? Does it count hours spent on the
service, MB downloaded, what?

A million questions not covered by the website, or docs!

I for one remain keen to get this working and to learn more about Linux.
WiFi excites me and I think FreeRADIUS could be a sensational part of
setting up free wireless networks all around the world but its clear many
people like me lack those basic answers like the ones I have mentioned
above.

Please understand I don't want to rant on about it - Just expressing how
keen I am, yet how frustrated! The fact only ten or so people help support
this list (in terms of replies) is a shame. I would be more for setting up
my own website to help people, but thats just me.

Again, I know everyone is busy but if someone could spare the time to help a
newbie to the world of Linux and FreeRADIUS, I'd be very happy... I hope to
share the knowledge you can all pass on one day...

Kind regards,

Scott