New to FreeRADIUS and looking for answers...

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Sun Aug 27 16:57:19 CEST 2006

On Sun 27 Aug 2006 16:17, Scott Holland wrote:
> Hi Geoff,
>
> I would agree nothing like winning and making it work! I have made the jump
> from software development to more server and networking stuff so I
> understand where you are coming from. Having said that, I for one like to
> see projects, or examples of how to handle a certain task and then be
> forced to go away and make it work - This, is what programming is often
> about.
>
> The situation with FreeRADIUS is much the same in some respects its just
> the documentation that comes with the package doesn't really point you in
> the right direction in terms of how to go about a complete set up based on
> XYZ requirements.
>
> As an example, I'd like to set up a FreeRADIUS server. I of course want it
> to be secure, but I'm not sure if I can get away with not using
> certificates. I don't know what the pros and cons are?
>
> I'd also like to use a MySQL backend again because of the things I have
> done with the language and PHP but again, what are the pros and cons to
> this? Does this (in FreeRADIUS) act as the accounting part of the
> FreeRADIUS package and what exactly does it count? Does it count hours
> spent on the service, MB downloaded, what?

Both, or maybe one, or maybe the other. In the end FreeRADIUS works with the
information sent by your NAS, so actually it is important to read the docs
for your NAS, and run FreeRADIUS in debug mode (radiusd -X) to understand
what information you are being sent. From there, configuring what to do with
this accounting information is pretty easy :-)

--

Peter Nixon
http://www.peternixon.net/