LDAP authentication

Lin Richardson lin at xmission.com
Mon Aug 28 23:21:08 CEST 2006

A general question that I have not seen in the forum.

I want to authenticate against LDAP... BUT  I don't want to use the LDAP
password as the password in every case.
In a remote connectivity solution I want to check the remotepassword
attribute for authentication.

Problem is (as I see it), that the real LDAP password is not passed in with
the remote connectivity request, so the request seems to be failing.
If I make the request with the LDAP password, it succeeds.

So my question, and I know that there is a caveat about a cleartext password
being required for LDAP authentication, is:
Can I make a request to freeradius that gets passed to LDAP but only
requires the password to be checked against an attribute of the username,
NOT the real LDAP password.

Any insight/experience or pointers to helpful doc sources would be
appreciated.

Regards,
Lin Richardson