1.1.3 on Solaris 10 (sparc)

Lin Richardson lin at xmission.com
Mon Aug 28 23:45:19 CEST 2006

I am quite pleased to report I have, with minimal discomfort, version
1.1.3running on Solaris 10.

The source actually compiles perfectly once OS dependencies etc. are met.
I will share a few tips here for any who may be attempting the same.
My main goal was LDAP functionality.  Other bells and whistles might require
additional steps.
Please forgive the Solaris info here, it is dangerously close to being
off-topic... except that you need it to install freeradius.

-------------------------------
Solaris System Headers

Solaris 10 will likely require you to fix the system headers.

http://sunfreeware.com/indexsparc10.html.

Commands as root:
*cd /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.10/3.3.2/install-tools/
vi mkheaders.conf*
- Then put the line "SHELL=/bin/sh" on the first line of the mkheaders.conf
file.
- It should look something like the following:
    SHELL=/bin/sh
    SYSTEM_HEADER_DIR="/usr/include"
    OTHER_FIXINCLUDES_DIRS=""
    FIXPROTO_DEFINES=""
    STMP_FIXPROTO="stmp-fixproto"
    STMP_FIXINC="stmp-fixinc"

Then you run the following command as root. It may take several minutes to
rebuild the headers.
*./mkheaders

*-------------------------------
Solaris Packages

Solaris 10 has versions of openssl and openLDAP installed I believe with the
system.  They do not fulfill the compile requirements for freeradius
functionality.
you should go to http://sunfreeware.com/ and get the packages there, and
also resolve any unmet dependencies.

If you have other modules you are concerned with that are not building
correctly, don't trust the OS packages.  Look for equiv packages and try the
build with them installed as well.
download package
gunzip packagename.gz
sudo pkgadd -d packagename

-------------------------------
Installing FreeRadius
Installing actually went off without a hitch.  ./configure, make, sudo make
install
No problems except I needed the packages so rlm_ldap would compile properly.

RunTime Environment

In order for the ldap queries to work, the following needs to be set as an
environmental variable, OR if you're handy with compiler flags you can take
care of it during the compile with the `-RLIBDIR' linker flag.

*export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/lib/;/usr/local/freeradius-1.1.3/lib"*

The two locations in the above path are for access to the libgcc_s.so.1
libraries and the rlm_ldap libraries respectively.