FreeNAC: OpenSource NAC

Hector.Ortiz at swisscom.com Hector.Ortiz at swisscom.com
Tue Aug 29 13:10:20 CEST 2006

FreeNAC provides easy to use VLAN assignment and LAN access control for Cisco Switches and all kind of network devices (Servers, Workstations, Printers, IP-Phones, Webcams...).

FreeNAC can be considered as having two phases.

Initially, we have taken OpenVMPS (which provides MAC based access control), added a MySQL back end, a GUI, improved access control algorithms, scalability, redundancy, alerting etc. This tool has been published as OpenSource on FreeNAC.net.

Next, we are testing 802.1x support by tying in FreeRadius (802.1x provides better security and is not limited to Cisco switches) and moving the Delphi GUI to a web based user interface.

The 'plan' is for the project to move forward to eventually become THE OpenSource Enterprise tool for dynamic VLAN assignment and LAN/WLAN authentication.

So, we wish to solicite community opinions, expertise, help and feedback. Are you interested in this tool, would you like to use it or even like to contribute to it (documentation, support, development, promotion, architecture, review...)?

Please visit us on www.FreeNAC.net!