Duplicate requests in a session

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu Aug 31 17:19:25 CEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 12:31 +0300, Peter Nixon wrote:
> Good question. Does anyone have anything against changing this?
>
> -Peter
>
> On Thu 31 Aug 2006 10:11, Santiago Balaguer García wrote:
> > Thanks James, I don't figure out to use primary key solves the problem of
> > duplicate keys.
> > I had in radacct as primary key <<radacctid>> but now I am going to have
> > <<acctuniqueid>>.
> >
> > This proble cause a new thread: why radacctid is the primary key of radacct
> > table instead od acctuniqueid?

I used a slightly different solution in my PostgreSQL implementation :

ALTER TABLE ONLY radacct
    ADD CONSTRAINT radacct_unique_session UNIQUE (
        username, nasipaddress, nasportid, acctsessionid
);

NOTE: When duplicate records come in you will see errors in the
log file like these :

Fri Jul 7 13:06:47 2006 : Error: rlm_sql (sql): failed after re-connect
Fri Jul 7 13:06:47 2006 : Error: rlm_sql (sql): Couldn't insert SQL
accounting START record - ERROR: duplicate key violates unique
constraint "radacct_unique_session"

These errors are mostly informational, because when the insert
fails, rlm_sql will use the alternate "update" method and will
succeed.

This is the same method I used on a customized Cistron
server I used for over 5 years and had no problems.

For some reason acctuniqueid was not unique in the duplicate
packets, so my initial attempts at using it were unsuccessful.

PostgreSQL can have a primary key that spans multiple
columns, and would look like this {IIRC} :

ALTER TABLE ONLY radacct
    ADD CONSTRAINT radacct_pkey_session PRIMARY KEY (
        username, nasipaddress, nasportid, acctsessionid
);

I did not use this, because I did not want to significantly change
the default configuration of most of the tables. Once I get a chance
to clean up the admin interface I have been developing I will
likely want to add some changes to the PostgreSQL default schema
that will allow better management without affecting the default
configuration, but since I am not finished I don't want to add
the changes to CVS quite yet.