DEFAULT access-reject Reply-Message

Garber, Neal Neal.Garber at energyeast.com
Fri Dec 1 16:39:38 CET 2006

> How can I add default Reply-Message to the situation where
Access-Reject was sent because of incorrect password?

> I looked at the user's file but it seams that I have no way to
determine if access-accept or reject was sent... it only has example how
to send the message to a reject > group.

If you're using LDAP, it already creates a Module-Failure-Message
request attribute upon failure.  Also, I submitted bug 398 which Alan
incorporated into CVS head to provide the same functionality for MS-CHAP
(I assume this will be in FR 1.1.4).  You could execute a Perl script in
a reject section of post_auth that looks for this request attribute and,
if found, set the Reply-Message reply attribute.  If you're using a
different authentication method, it may be possible to change the code
to accomplish what you want.  As someone else pointed out, it's not a
good idea to tell someone they entered the wrong password as it makes
brute-force password attacks easier (because you're telling them the
userid is valid).  I believe ntlm_auth gives a generic (invalid userid
or password) response to a bad password.  If the response you see is too
specific, you may want to obfuscate it..

Here's an example of what you would put in radiusd.conf (this assumes
you have a sub in your perl script called post_auth_reject):

modules {

.

.

.

   perl set_reject_message {

          module = /usr/local/etc/raddb/set_reject_message.pl

          func_post_auth = post_auth_reject

   }

.

.