unable to compile with openssl libraries

Peter Param pparam at stvincents.com.au
Mon Dec 4 01:44:56 CET 2006

Thanks for clarifying the GPL vs Openssl license issue.

I did an "apt-get install openssl" but still no joy.

On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 11:19:24AM +1100, Peter Param said:
> Debian licensing prohibits the installation of openssl as part of its
> packaging and hence why i downloaded the individual tarballs to work
> around this issue.

No, you've misunderstood the problem (not surprising, many people have).
The GPL prohibits distributing GPL binaries linked against GPL
incompatible libraries.  'Debian licensing' (were it to exist) has
nothing to do with it.  Debian is unable to redistribute the binary
applications you want - you are free, however, to make them for personal
use.  You are free to make them from the distributed Debian binaries,
even.

|  Stephen Gran                  | Anything cut to length will be too
  |
|  steve at lobefin.net             | short.

|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve |

the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been virus
scanned and although no viruses were detected by the system, St Vincents &
Mater Health Sydney accepts no liability for any consequential damage
resulting from email containing any computer viruses.