Problem cheking multivalued attributes in LDAP schemas.

Erling Paulsen erling.paulsen at cc.uit.no
Mon Dec 4 15:11:08 CET 2006

I try to make a decision based on checking for a value in a certain
attribute of a LDAP schema. The problem is that this is a multivalued
attribute, and it seems somewhat undefined when I try to check against it!

My exact problem is checking against a "eduPerson" schema for an
affiliation on an attribute called "eduPersonAffiliation" (which is
multivalued). I want to check if a certain user has the right
affiliation=xxxx before assigning a dynamic Vlan.

I fetch the attribute in Authorization as "LDAP-Affiliation" (mapped as
a checkItem in ldap.attrmap). I've tried checking with the regular
expression operator (i.e. for "staff" affiliation), but it seems to not
give a match. Ex. check-statement from users file:
	LDAP-Affiliation :~ .*staff.*

In the LDAP-backend the "eduPersonAffiliation" is shown as containing:

eduPersonAffiliation:
	employee
	staff
	member

Is this a common problem in checking against multivalued attributes, or
is there a way around it?

Any feedback would be appreciated!
- Erling Paulsen