FreeRADIUS 1.1.3 configuration issues on Solaris 9 with OpenSSL

Bob Jones bob.jones at usg.edu
Wed Dec 6 21:22:09 CET 2006

Hey all,

	I apologize if this has been covered before, but I've searched the
archives and haven't found anything to seemed to speak to this specific
issue.  I have a Solaris 9 system with Sun Studio 11.  When running the
configure script, I'm encoutering an issue I haven't been able to come
up with a solution to as of yet, so I was hoping some of you might be
able to help.  There really seems to be 2 issues.

	First, we use a third party to provide many of our opensource tools
(TheWrittenWord) and these apps and libraries are installed in
/opt/TWWfsw instead of your typical /usr/local.  So, I set some
environment variables:

CC=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc
CXX=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC
F77=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77
CFLAGS=-L/opt/TWWfsw/libgdbm182/lib -R/opt/TWWfsw/libgdbm182/lib

And then run configure thusly:

./configure\
--without-rlm_ldap\
--without-rlm_krb5\
--without-rlm_sql\
--with-openssl-includes=/opt/TWWfsw/libopenssl097/include\
--with-openssl-libraries=/opt/TWWfsw/libopenssl097/lib

Those are the correct paths to the openssl libraries and includes (the
includes are in the openssl subdirectory of
/opt/TWWfsw/libopenssl097/include.  However, the configure script
doesn't seem to locate them... I get the following pertinent openssl
messages from configure:

configure: WARNING: skipping test for openssl/ssl.h

And later with the modules messages like:

configure: WARNING: silently not building rlm_eap_tls.
configure: WARNING: FAILURE: rlm_eap_tls requires: OpenSSL.

configure: WARNING: silently not building rlm_eap_ttls.
configure: WARNING: FAILURE: rlm_eap_ttls requires: OpenSSL.

configure: WARNING: silently not building rlm_otp.
configure: WARNING: FAILURE: rlm_otp requires:  openssl-includes
openssl-includes openssl-includes openssl-includes openssl-includes.

All normal considering it failed it's openssl check.  But why did it
fail the check when I used the --with-openssl-libraries flag to configure?

Now, even more confusing is if I set the library locations in CFLAGS thusly:

CFLAGS=-L/opt/TWWfsw/libopenssl097/lib -R/opt/TWWfsw/libopenssl097/lib
-L/opt/TWWfsw/libgdbm182/lib -R/opt/TWWfsw/libgdm182/lib

And run the configure exactly as above, things change.  Now it finds the
openssl pieces:

checking for DH_new in -lcrypto... yes
checking for SSL_new in -lssl... yes

checking openssl/ssl.h usability... yes
checking openssl/ssl.h presence... yes
checking for openssl/ssl.h... yes
checking openssl/crypto.h usability... yes
checking openssl/crypto.h presence... yes
checking for openssl/crypto.h... yes
checking openssl/err.h usability... yes
checking openssl/err.h presence... yes
checking for openssl/err.h... yes
checking openssl/engine.h usability... yes
checking openssl/engine.h presence... yes
checking for openssl/engine.h... yes
checking for OpenSSL version >= 0.9.7... yes

And the configure output for rlm_eap_tls and others that require OpenSSL
are fine, *except* for rlm_otp which still looks like:

configure: configuring in src/modules/rlm_otp
configure: running /bin/bash './configure' --prefix=/usr/local
'--without-rlm_ldap' '--without-rlm_krb5' '--without-rlm_sql'
'--without-snmp'
'--with-openssl-includes=/opt/TWWfsw/libopenssl097/include'
'--with-openssl-libraries=/opt/TWWfsw/libopenssl097/lib'
'--with-rlm-perl-includes-dir=/opt/TWWfsw/perl586/lib/5.8.6/sun4-solaris-thread-multi/CORE'
'CC=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc' 'CFLAGS=-L/opt/TWWfsw/libopenssl097/lib
-R/opt/TWWfsw/libopenssl097/lib -L/opt/TWWfsw/libgdbm182/lib
-R/opt/TWWfsw/libgdm182/lib' 'CXX=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC'
'F77=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77' 'LDFLAGS=' --enable-ltdl-install
--cache-file=/dev/null --srcdir=.
checking for gcc... /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... no
checking whether /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc accepts -g... yes
checking for /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc option to accept ANSI C... none needed
checking how to run the C preprocessor... /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc -E
checking for egrep... egrep
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... no
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... (cached) yes
checking for SSL_new in -lssl... yes
checking openssl/des.h usability... no
checking openssl/des.h presence... no
checking for openssl/des.h... no
checking openssl/hmac.h usability... no
checking openssl/hmac.h presence... no
checking for openssl/hmac.h... no
checking openssl/md4.h usability... no
checking openssl/md4.h presence... no
checking for openssl/md4.h... no
checking openssl/md5.h usability... no
checking openssl/md5.h presence... no
checking for openssl/md5.h... no
checking openssl/sha.h usability... no
checking openssl/sha.h presence... no
checking for openssl/sha.h... no
configure: WARNING: silently not building rlm_otp.
configure: WARNING: FAILURE: rlm_otp requires:  openssl-includes
openssl-includes openssl-includes openssl-includes openssl-includes.
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile

I've checked though and all those .h files are there with the same
permissions as the others, so I would expect it to find the presence
even if it didn't find them usable (which I wouldn't know why that would
be true either).

Any ideas?  I'm at a real loss here.

--
Thanks in advance,