FREERADIUS + MYSQL +DHCP3

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Dec 12 10:52:45 CET 2006

Alan DeKok wrote:
> Phil Mayers wrote:
>
>>> how can work mysql and dhcp3 together????
>> That's a pretty difficult thing to do. There's no in-built solution, you
>> would have to manufacture something.
>
>   DHCP is UDP.  RADIUS is UDP.  Both use packed attribute-value pairs.
>
>   The main question is, is there any interest in adding another protocol
> to the server?

True. And you've already got the parser for hierarchical configs as well
as an SQL and logging infrastructure.

It's not something I'd use but I can imagine it being very very useful
in smaller and/or simpler deployments (which is not to say trivial).

Then again, given the (ahem) variable level of questions asked here, do
you want to double the pain with DHCP-related mailing list posts?

"My WangRouter 1000 doesn't add the correct foobar attribute and thus
can't possibly do DHCP. How do I make it do DHCP?"

"Erm..."