PEAP+PAM or MySQL possible?

Matt Goebel mgoebel at workforcesoftware.com
Thu Dec 28 20:23:08 CET 2006

I'd like to move to WPA Enterprise EAP/PEAP from EAP/TLS.  That way
there are no client certificates to deal with and I can instead just use
usernames/passwords.  I don't, however, want either OpenLDAP or AD to do
it.  Both would be overkill for my needs and just add an extra layer to
maintain.  Instead I want to use either PAM or MySQL in their place.  Is
this even possible?  If so how?  I haven't seen any documentation that
definitively explains this one way or another.  Testing I'm able to
successfully authenticate using the radtest program.  From a client
(both Windows and Linux) I get invalid username/password errors.  Debug
mode I see the username being passed correctly along with other
information but no password, encrypted or otherwise.  Maybe this is by
design?  I haven't seen what working PEAP debug messages look like so I
have no frame of reference.