Unable to connect TCP/IP error 733

Galloway, David Mr KRS david.l.galloway at us.army.mil
Thu Feb 2 04:00:08 CET 2006

Hi All....

Here's an issue I'm getting, and I seem to not be able to find any answers
elsewhere on the internet.

We're testing currently and our client is dialing into our NAS, the NAS
sends the auth. request to the RADIUS, RADIUS authenticates and returns a
good request.... BUT!!!!! On the client side the connection is quickly
dropped when it moves to "Registering Your Computer on The Network" and
returns the error message of -Checking network protocol connections...
TCP/IP CP reported error 733. A connection to the remote computer could not
be completed. You might need to adjust the protocols on this computer.-

The protocol on the Client is set to PPP. When I checked out various modem
sites they kept referring to problems negotiating mult-link for single link
connections... That option is off by default on Windows XP (which is the
client).

So I'm quite stuck, not sure exactly which way to go and what changed to
make on the RADIUS side to resolve this connection issue.

Client- Windows XP Pro
NAS- Cisco AS5400
Radius Server - RHEL4
freeRADIUS version 1.0.1

Here's the debug dump. Don't know if it'll do any good, but... Hey, anything
is worth a try.

Starting - reading configuration files ...
reread_config:  reading radiusd.conf
Config:   including file: /etc/raddb/proxy.conf
Config:   including file: /etc/raddb/clients.conf
Config:   including file: /etc/raddb/snmp.conf
Config:   including file: /etc/raddb/eap.conf
Config:   including file: /etc/raddb/sql.conf
 main: prefix = "/usr"
 main: localstatedir = "/var"
 main: logdir = "/var/log/radius"
 main: libdir = "/usr/lib"
 main: radacctdir = "/var/log/radius/radacct"
 main: hostname_lookups = no
 main: max_request_time = 30
 main: cleanup_delay = 5
 main: max_requests = 1024
 main: delete_blocked_requests = 0
 main: port = 0
 main: allow_core_dumps = no
 main: log_stripped_names = no
 main: log_file = "/var/log/radius/radius.log"
 main: log_auth = no
 main: log_auth_badpass = no
 main: log_auth_goodpass = no
 main: pidfile = "/var/run/radiusd/radiusd.pid"
 main: user = "radiusd"
 main: group = "radiusd"
 main: usercollide = no
 main: lower_user = "no"
 main: lower_pass = "no"
 main: nospace_user = "no"
 main: nospace_pass = "no"
 main: checkrad = "/usr/sbin/checkrad"
 main: proxy_requests = yes
 proxy: retry_delay = 5
 proxy: retry_count = 3
 proxy: synchronous = no
 proxy: default_fallback = yes
 proxy: dead_time = 120
 proxy: post_proxy_authorize = yes
 proxy: wake_all_if_all_dead = no
 security: max_attributes = 200
 security: reject_delay = 1
 security: status_server = no
 main: debug_level = 0
read_config_files:  reading dictionary
read_config_files:  reading naslist
Using deprecated naslist file.  Support for this will go away soon.
read_config_files:  reading clients
read_config_files:  reading realms
radiusd:  entering modules setup
Module: Library search path is /usr/lib
Module: Loaded exec
 exec: wait = yes
 exec: program = "(null)"
 exec: input_pairs = "request"
 exec: output_pairs = "(null)"
 exec: packet_type = "(null)"
rlm_exec: Wait=yes but no output defined. Did you mean output=none?
Module: Instantiated exec (exec)
Module: Loaded expr
Module: Instantiated expr (expr)
Module: Loaded PAP
 pap: encryption_scheme = "crypt"
Module: Instantiated pap (pap)
Module: Loaded CHAP
Module: Instantiated chap (chap)
Module: Loaded MS-CHAP
 mschap: use_mppe = yes
 mschap: require_encryption = no
 mschap: require_strong = no
 mschap: with_ntdomain_hack = no
 mschap: passwd = "(null)"
 mschap: authtype = "MS-CHAP"
 mschap: ntlm_auth = "(null)"
Module: Instantiated mschap (mschap)
Module: Loaded System
 unix: cache = no
 unix: passwd = "/etc/passwd"
 unix: shadow = "/etc/shadow"
 unix: group = "/etc/group"
 unix: radwtmp = "/var/log/radius/radwtmp"
 unix: usegroup = no
 unix: cache_reload = 600
Module: Instantiated unix (unix)
Module: Loaded eap
 eap: default_eap_type = "md5"
 eap: timer_expire = 60
 eap: ignore_unknown_eap_types = no
 eap: cisco_accounting_username_bug = no
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type md5
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type leap
 gtc: challenge = "Password: "
 gtc: auth_type = "PAP"
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type gtc
 mschapv2: with_ntdomain_hack = no
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type mschapv2
Module: Instantiated eap (eap)
Module: Loaded preprocess
 preprocess: huntgroups = "/etc/raddb/huntgroups"
 preprocess: hints = "/etc/raddb/hints"
 preprocess: with_ascend_hack = no
 preprocess: ascend_channels_per_line = 23
 preprocess: with_ntdomain_hack = no
 preprocess: with_specialix_jetstream_hack = no
 preprocess: with_cisco_vsa_hack = no
Module: Instantiated preprocess (preprocess)
Module: Loaded realm
 realm: format = "suffix"
 realm: delimiter = "@"
 realm: ignore_default = no
 realm: ignore_null = no
Module: Instantiated realm (suffix)
Module: Loaded files
 files: usersfile = "/etc/raddb/users"
 files: acctusersfile = "/etc/raddb/acct_users"
 files: preproxy_usersfile =
"/etc/raddb/preproxy_users"
 files: compat = "no"
Module: Instantiated files (files)
Module: Loaded Acct-Unique-Session-Id
 acct_unique: key = "User-Name, Acct-Session-Id, NAS-IP-Address,
Client-IP-Address, NAS-Port"
Module: Instantiated acct_unique (acct_unique)
Module: Loaded detail
 detail: detailfile =
"/var/log/radius/radacct/%{Client-IP-Address}/detail-%Y%m%d"
 detail: detailperm = 384
 detail: dirperm = 493
 detail: locking = no
Module: Instantiated detail (detail)
Module: Loaded radutmp
 radutmp: filename = "/var/log/radius/radutmp"
 radutmp: username = "%{User-Name}"
 radutmp: case_sensitive = yes
 radutmp: check_with_nas = yes
 radutmp: perm = 384
 radutmp: callerid = yes
Module: Instantiated radutmp (radutmp)
Listening on authentication *:1812
Listening on accounting *:1813
Listening on proxy *:1814
Ready to process requests.
rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 172.16.2.5:1645, id=115,
length=100
        Framed-Protocol = PPP
        User-Name = "test"
        User-Password = "test"
        NAS-Port-Type = Async
        Connect-Info = "54667/24000 V90/V44/LAPM"
        NAS-Port = 538
        Service-Type = Framed-User
        NAS-IP-Address = 172.16.2.5
  Processing the authorize section of radiusd.conf
  modcall[authorize]: module "preprocess" returns ok for request 0
  modcall[authorize]: module "chap" returns noop for request 0
  modcall[authorize]: module "mschap" returns noop for request 0
    rlm_realm: No '@' in User-Name = "test", looking up realm NULL
    rlm_realm: No such realm "NULL"
  modcall[authorize]: module "suffix" returns noop for request 0
  rlm_eap: No EAP-Message, not doing EAP
  modcall[authorize]: module "eap" returns noop for request 0
    users: Matched test at 80
  modcall[authorize]: module "files" returns ok for request 0
modcall: group authorize returns ok for request 0
  rad_check_password:  Found Auth-Type Local
auth: type Local
auth: user supplied User-Password matches local User-Password Sending
Access-Accept of id 115 to 172.16.2.5:1645
        Service-Type = Framed-User
        Framed-Protocol = PPP
        Framed-IP-Address = 172.16.2.150
        Framed-IP-Netmask = 255.255.255.0
        Framed-Routing = Broadcast-Listen
        Framed-Filter-Id = "std.ppp"
        Framed-MTU = 1500
        Framed-Compression = Van-Jacobson-TCP-IP Finished request 0 Going to
the next request
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Waking up in 6 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Cleaning up request 0 ID 115 with timestamp 43e171f9 Nothing to do.
Sleeping until we see a request.

Regards,

David Galloway
Public Networks Administration