dictionary: override attribute type/id mapping

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Thu Feb 9 18:04:26 CET 2006

Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua> wrote:
> I also want to apologize if my tone seemed too attacking towards
> freeradius for such a novice that I am.

  You're not attacking, you're worried about situations that haven't
occured yet.

> Now to the subject matter: let us imagine some not very distant future
> when digest authentication extension is finally standardized

  We will address that situation when it happens.  Until then, there
isn't a lot of point in discussing this.

> How would you resolve such situation ?

  Very carefully.

> I wanted (or, at least, I thought that I wanted) something a little bit
> different - not a new name for the same type, but a different type for
> the same name. E.g.:
> $ cat /usr/local/etc/raddb/dictionary
> ATTRIBUTE       My-Local-String         300     string
> ATTRIBUTE       My-Local-String         301     string

  That's wrong.  The server won't accept it.  Think what it would mean
if the server did accept it.  You see My-Local-String in a log file.
Which attribute is it?  You don't know.

> By "marked" I meant not a mere comment in a dictionary file, but some
> prefix to their name or something like that, e.g.
> "PreRFC-Digest-Response". But this is probably too intrusive to do now.

  There is absolutely no reason to do that.