silently drop packet (access-request)

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Thu Feb 9 20:28:17 CET 2006

Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua> wrote:
> 1. What is FreeRADIUS (as a project) general feeling and attitude
> towards entities that use FreeRADIUS as a RADIUS server in conjunction
> with their own private (closed-source) modules ?

  So long as you're following the GPL, it's your business.

  This usually means that if you redistribute the binaries, your
modules must also be distributed under the GPL/.

> 2. Does FreeRADIUS (as a project) trust such entities to know what they
> are doing ?

  If you're running your own code on your own systems, it's not our
problem.

> 3. Does FreeRADIUS (as a project) mind giving such entities more control
> over FreeRADIUS server behavior either through configuration options or
> through module interface, so that they don't have to modify "main"
> source code to achieve what they want ?

  If you want to control the server, you have source.  You can edit it
yourself.

  The issue appears to be that you want the server to do something
special in your site, and you also want to force those patches back to
FreeRADIUS.  That's a problem.

> And it doesn't, then to what degree ?

  We'll accept patches that make sense, and which are useful to a wide
audience.  If the patches you send in are useful only to you, then
they probably won't go in.