FATAL! Server is too busy to process requests

Douglas G. Phillips csdgp at eiu.edu
Fri Feb 17 05:00:23 CET 2006

On Thu, February 16, 2006 11:07 am, Alan DeKok wrote:
> "Mitchell, Michael J" <Michael.Mitchell at team.telstra.com> wrote:
>> I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm currently trying to load test the
>> authentication proxy performance of freeRADIUS 1.0.1 in preparation for
>> a deployment this weekend.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I'm running into this error "Error: FATAL!  Server is too
>> busy to process requests".
>
>   Either the server is overloaded, or the back-end databases are too
> slow.
>
>> Interestingly, this error doesn't seem to occur when the openLDAP server
>> is running on a different server, however the rate of requests that I
>> can push through the server is also a lot less in this circumstance
>> (about 25%).

Following up on the slow back-end, which I'd suspect given the problem
goes away with a different LDAP server, one of the things we ran into with
request time (both with FreeRADIUS and with some custom web apps) with our
OpenLDAP servers was optimizing our indexing and caching settings to
better fit the search patterns we were using.

As a result of these optimizations, we're handling some pretty heavy loads
with very quick response times.

The OpenLDAP lists would be able to help you with this, or if you want
more details on what we did here, email me privately.

Hope this helps.

--
   Douglas G. Phillips
      Development                     Information Technology Services