load and threads

Nicolas Baradakis nbk at sitadelle.com
Fri Feb 17 18:04:56 CET 2006

Velikanov wrote:

> 1. What is the reason of such FreeRadius behavior? What must I do?

It looks like a slow database problem.

> 2. Why load of server during #radiusd -X is lover then during #radiusd ?

radius -X starts the server in single-threaded mode, and the database
server receives one request at a time.

In normal mode, FreeRADIUS sends multiple requests simultaneously to
the database server, and the database becomes too slow to answer to
all the requests. At some point you get the message "There are no DB
handles to use!"

> 3.How must I start FreeRadius to make many processes (not threads), maybe it
> help me to decrease the load of server and to increase the speed of packets
> handling

I'd suggest to find out why the database is slow (perhaps there is
no index). On the FreeRADIUS side, try to adjust the value of the
num_sql_socks option in sql.conf.

--
Nicolas Baradakis