NTLM

Laker Netman laker_netman at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 23 15:49:47 CET 2006

--- Alan DeKok <aland at ox.org> wrote:

> Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Ok, different libntlm then. Have you got the URL
> handy?
>
> http://josefsson.org/libntlm/
>
> > I don't know what you mean by this. Samba can act
> as both a client and
> > (member) server for win2k/win2k3 authentication
> methods (GSS-SPNEGO
> > primarily) using machine account credentials
> acquired using that domains
> > native protocols (kerberos+LDAP).
>
>   You keep saying "machine authentication".  I'm
> talking about
> authenticating users.
>
>   I did this using Samba & smbclient.  There were 4
> packets.  Most of
> the packet content was NTLM stuff.  There was no
> extra RPC nonsense,
> like is done with a normal XP login to a DC.
>
> > The point I am (badly) trying to communicate is
> that, with a microsoft
> > domain controller (NT4, win2k, win2k3), to execute
> the RPC call required
> > to validate an MS-CHAPv2 request and return the NT
> key you MUST have a
> > machine account in the domain
>
>   For user authentication?  I don't think so.
>
> > It's 4 packets for me too, but TCP segments on an
> already-open MSRPC
> > pipe to a domain controller.
>
>   Uh, no.  Try using smbclient to grab a list of
> shares from a domain
> controller.  It's 4 packets to authenticate the
> user, start to finish.
> The rest of the traffic is the "get list of shares"
> stuff.  And those
> packets happen after the authentication.
>
> >  The SMB packets are SMB-signed/sealed, the
> > contents are a Netlogon SCHANNEL RPC which is
> itself further signed and
> > sealed, and the variety and number of versions of
> a call and versions of
> > structures passed as arguments are truly, truly
> bewildering.
>
>   Yes.  I've spent time looking at those RPC's,
> they're truly horrid.
>
>   But... I can't argue with success.  smbclient does
> NTLM
> authentication in 4 packets.  Why can't we?
>
>   I understand the whole complexity and RPC
> nonsense, but forgive me
> if I'm stuck on a working example.
>
>   Try it.  Start tcpdump listening on packets from
> your machine to a
> domain controller.  Verify that there are no packets
> going to the DC.
> Run smbclient to get the list of shares.  Look at
> how many packets go
> back and forth.  Then, tell me it's a huge amount of
> work to replicate
> that traffic, because there are endless other RPC's
> that have to be
> done.
>
>   I just don't believe it.  And I don't understand
> why you think it's
> so complicated to reproduce that traffic.  I *think*
> you're talking
> about reproducing an entirely different kind of
> traffic, with a lot
> [...]

NTLM is sufficient to gain access to resources on
Windows domain, "machine account" or no, in ANY
windows domain flavor.
To wit: I access shares and printers on work systems
from home, via vpn, by mapping a drive and specifying
a different username/password than my home system
login in the process.
To let our work DC (mixed-mode W2K3 AD) know who I am
(from its perspecitve) I qualify my credentials with
my work domain.
Thus,
user: WORKDOMAIN\username
password: <domain_password>

My home PCs are not "work" domain members.  In fact, I
run my own "home" domain.  So these home systems
actually have different native security (machine
account) credentials than my work PC.

A machine account is required (and only available to
NT-branch OSes, i.e., not 95, 98, ME) to allow the
domain controller to administer the security of the
"workstation".
Things like group policy, (workstation-level) registry
and share management, etc necessitate a machine
account.

Laker