Solaris 8 - radiusd: Cannot find ELF

Mike Becker mike.j.becker at alcatel.com
Thu Feb 23 21:05:11 CET 2006

Hello.  I am new to the freeradius application.  I am trying to install
freeradius-1.1.0 in a lab environment onto a Sun Ultra 10, running
Solaris 8 02/04.  I understand there are no pre-built packages
available.  I've now made it through the "configure, make, make install"
process but whenever I attempt to start radiusd, I get the following output,

root at TE-Radius# radiusd
radiusd: Cannot find ELF
Killed

I've searched through the mailing list archives here and tried many
suggestions but I'm still getting the same results.  Here is some info
on my system...

root at TE-Radius# uname -a
SunOS TE-Radius 5.8 Generic_117350-27 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

root at TE-Radius# echo $CC
gcc
root at TE-Radius# echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/etc:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/local/sbin:.
root at TE-Radius# echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/local/lib

I added the following packages,

binutils-2.11.2  gdbm-1.8.3       libiconv-1.8
GNUzip           freeradius       glib-2.6.2       zlib-1.2.3
bash-3.0         gcc-3.4.2        gmake-3.80

root at TE-Radius# gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.4.2/specs
Configured with: ../configure --with-as=/usr/ccs/bin/as
--with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld --disable-nls
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.2

root at TE-Radius# file /usr/local/sbin/radiusd
/usr/local/sbin/radiusd:        ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version
1, dynamically linked, stripped

I suspect there may have been a problem during the
compiling/installation but I am not familiar enough with this process to
determine where the problem might be.  I saved the output from
"configure, make, make install".  They're a little lengthy for an
email.  Perhaps I can ftp them somewhere for further review?

Thank you in advance!