User accounts that expire and timeout

Jon Pipitone jon.pipitone at utoronto.ca
Sat Jan 7 07:15:23 CET 2006

Hey all,

I'm working to set up a wireless hotspot using mikrotik, freeradius, and mysql.
Actually the initial setup went pretty smoothly, so a big thank you to everyone
that contributed to the documentation and mailing lists.

Right now I'm looking to set up user accounts that are only valid for a certain
date range (for instance, from today at noon until tomorrow at noon).  In
essence I want to set some sort of expiry date on the user account.

But, as well, I'd like the session time limit for the user to be set so that the
user can't stay logged in after the expire date (i.e. log in just before the
expiry time and stay logged in for a few more hours.).  During the time when the
account is valid (i.e. hasn't expired) the user should be able to log in and out
as much as the'd like, or stay logged in for the entire time.  In other words,
the Session-Timeout ought to be exactly the difference in time from when they
log in to when the account expires.

I've done a bit of reading through the mailing list archives and the
documentation.  I wasn't able to get the Expiration attribute to work (i can
elaborate if need be), but then even if it did it isn't fine-grained enough
(only down to the day) and I still wasn't sure how to automatically adjust the
Session-Timeout.  I was toying with using a sqlcounter somehow, but I thought it
best to ask for ideas before I dive in again.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
jon