problems with CHAP authentication

Przemysław Backiel przemyslaw.backiel at backiel.com.pl
Tue Jan 10 14:07:32 CET 2006

Hello,

I have big problem with CHAP in Freeradius. I tried versions 1.0.2 and
1.0.5 and I heve the same error. While I'm loging using Rasppoe I have
errors in freeradius debug:
rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 127.0.0.1:2294, id=219, length=88
         Service-Type = Framed-User
         Framed-Protocol = PPP
         User-Name = "test"
         CHAP-Password = 0x4cffb4ccb24a90a9c115c4827aa8748301
         Calling-Station-Id = "00:13:D4:EB:68:01"
         NAS-IP-Address = 194.88.154.12
         NAS-Port = 0
   Processing the authorize section of radiusd.conf
   modcall[authorize]: module "preprocess" returns ok for request 0
   rlm_chap: Setting 'Auth-Type := CHAP'
   modcall[authorize]: module "chap" returns ok for request 0
   modcall[authorize]: module "mschap" returns noop for request 0
     rlm_realm: No '@' in User-Name = "test", looking up realm NULL
     rlm_realm: No such realm "NULL"
   modcall[authorize]: module "suffix" returns noop for request 0
   rlm_eap: No EAP-Message, not doing EAP
   modcall[authorize]: module "eap" returns noop for request 0
     users: Matched entry test at line 1
   modcall[authorize]: module "files" returns ok for request 0
modcall: group authorize returns ok for request 0
   rad_check_password:  Found Auth-Type CHAP
auth: type "CHAP"
   Processing the authenticate section of radiusd.conf
modcall: entering group Auth-Type for request 0
   rlm_chap: login attempt by "test" with CHAP password
   rlm_chap: Using clear text password rtest for user test authentication.
   rlm_chap: Pasword check failed
   modcall[authenticate]: module "chap" returns reject for request 0
modcall: group Auth-Type returns reject for request 0
auth: Failed to validate the user.

my user file look just like this:
test     Auth-Type = Local, Password == "rtest"
         Framed-Protocol = PPP,
         Framed-IP-Address = 10.0.0.22

in radiusclient i write localhost and secret

i use rp-pppoe-server 3.7 but in 3.5 I have got the same errors
   where is the error? what I have to change?

--
Z powazaniem
Przemyslaw Backiel