openLDAP vs.mySQL

Nicolas Baradakis nbk at sitadelle.com
Tue Jan 10 17:25:31 CET 2006

Carlo Prestopino wrote:

> In these day we are developing the prepaid solution for Wi-Fi access
> (scratch cards), but completely with mySQL, because it is simpler to
> use (tables radacct, radcheck, etc... are already built) and develop.
> As we arrive to a stable solution it is my intention to move the
> authentication process to openLDAP.

The only statement that matters is whether you are familiar with
either MySQL or LDAP. I don't agree with the other assertions about
performance and distributed model of storage.

The MySQL database of users can be replicated so each RADIUS server
query a local slave database. There is no bottleneck on a single
database. (exactly like in a LDAP setup)

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/replication.html

For example, the RADIUS servers on my site received yesterday 6 millions
requests (auth + acct), and the servers were always under 5% of CPU
usage. (Pentium 4 2.4GHz)

So unless you have good reasons, I think you should keep the MySQL
solution if it works for you.

--
Nicolas Baradakis