Where are these "Client-IP-Address = 127.0.0.1" messages coming from?

Matthew Schumacher matt.s at aptalaska.net
Thu Jan 12 21:37:24 CET 2006

Lewis Bergman wrote:
> Matthew Schumacher wrote:

> I assumed when you marked the NAS ip as legit, that the actual value in
> that field is a legit IP that you have listed in your clients.conf file.
> If that is the case, then that is where the packet originated from. My
> NAS's report the client IP as the NAS address if I log in from the network.
> Login-IP-Host = <ip of router>
> Client-IP-Address = <IP of NAS IP>
>
> I think I remember if I logged in from the console port that it reports
> the Client address as the loopback.

According to the freeradius documentation and the code the
Client-IP-Address attribute always records the source address of the
packet, and the NAS-IP-Address is provided by the NAS, and if it isn't
freeradius puts in the source address.

This means that the log above states that a packet with the
NAS-IP-Address of a legit nas was sourced from 127.0.0.1 which is not
possible since I don't have a client running on the local machine which
is confirmed by the lack of packets shown in tcpdump.

At this point I am starting to think there is a bug in freeradius where
the Client-IP-Address gets recorded incorrectly.

If you login to the serial port of your nas then you could see the
NAS-IP-Address as 127.0.0.1 but you should never see a Client-IP-Address
of 127.0.0.1 unless the client sourced it's packet from the radius
servers loopback interface.

schu