Debian + Exec-Program = Zombie process

George Chelidze wrath at geo.net.ge
Fri Jan 20 08:37:41 CET 2006

Alan DeKok wrote:
> George Chelidze <wrath at geo.net.ge> wrote:
>
>>Zombies add up even when I recompile without --without-threads option.
>

>   That sounds like a serious problem.  Looking at the source, I don't
> see why, though.
>

>>If I understood things correctly, if I compile radius without threads
>>support reap_children() won't be called and zombies will add up?
>

>   No.  See radiusd.c, look for waitpid().  That code reaps the zombies
> when there are no threads.

I have checked the source, waitpid() is really there but I don't
understand why zombies add up when 1.0.1 is compiled without threads. I
found a solution (compiled 1.0.1 with --with-threads option) and it
works for me, but I'd like to help freeradius team (if I can) to find
the reason why it's broken (at least in my environment) in newer
versions. Can I make some tests to narrow down the problem, or some
other actions.

Best Regards,

George