Performance features of FreeRadius

Dusty Doris freeradius at mail.doris.cc
Fri Jan 20 17:55:19 CET 2006

>   Hy all,
>
>  I would like to know where I can find information about the performance
> features of the FreeRadius product.
>  I would like to propose my boss tu use this product because I have been
> testing it with differents configurations and it is a very good product
> (congratulations!). But I need that information first.
>
>  Thank you very much in advance,
>  Marta Lajas

I use it for an ISP for authenticating users to dial, dial-isdn, adsl
service-selection, wifi, vpn, ftp (homepages), dial accelerator and nntp.

We have 3 radius servers to handle the load and average about 80,000
logins per day out of a few hundred thousand users.  We use an ldap
backend for authentication and mysql for accounting.

The machines are freebsd 5.4
hw.machine: i386
hw.model: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
hw.ncpu: 2
hw.physmem: 1064525824
hw.usermem: 962187264
hw.realmem: 1073479680

They are basically sitting there idle since we've put them in.  The
traffic isn't enough to push it.

# uptime
11:48AM  up 98 days, 13:04, 1 user, load averages: 0.03, 0.01, 0.00

I hope I don't jinx myself, but we've never had an outage with freeradius.
Using configurable_failover inside freeradius we didn't even notice a burp
when one of our ldap servers's motherboard choked and the machine went
down hard.  Freeradius just kindly switched over to another ldap server.
Using radrelay for pushing accounting to our mysql servers, makes the
uptime on that sql machine less important, even though it never seems to
have issues.

I know that's not an "official" number, but perhaps it could help.

-Dusty Doris