FreeRadius-1.1.0 - rlm_digest with MD5 passwords in a MySQL db

Philippe Sultan philippe.sultan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 23:40:40 CET 2006

Hi Evan,

I don't have much experience with the FR 'sql' module. I know it is
possible to achieve what you want using LDAP as a backend database. In
this case, the password is mapped to an LDAP attribute (ex.
userPassword), which value is pulled out during the 'authorize'
process. I don't know whether a similar operation can be expected with
'sql', maybe someone else has an answer.

On 1/23/06, Evan Borgström <evan.borgstrom at ca.mci.com> wrote:
> Hey All,
>
>        I've been spending my day trying to get rlm_digest to work with
> encrypted passwords in a MySQL database. When I use the User-Password
> attribute with a plain text password then digest authentication works
> fine, however when I change the attribute to MD5-Password I get the
> following on the console when running radiusd -X;
>
> rlm_digest: Configuration item "User-Password" or MD5-Password is
> required for authentication.

Just for testing purpose, have you tried using the 'users' file?

>        So, how do I get encrypted password storage to work? Does anyone have
> any pointers on where to go from here?

The following URL might help :
http://wiki.freeradius.org/index.php/Digest

Regards,