logging to external syslog server?

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Wed Jan 25 13:30:04 CET 2006

Mark Tunnell <mtunnell at livebridge.com> writes:

> How do I send radius logs to the local syslog server?  The man page
> says the -l radiusd switch is deprecated and that you should see the
> log_dir configuration item in the radiusd.conf file.  There is no
> 'log_dir' configuration item in the radiusd.conf file.  There is a
> 'logdir' and a 'log_file'.  I've tried setting those = to 'syslog'
> with no luck.  I've tried adding a log_dir to radiusd.conf but that
> didn't work either.

A little grepping shows that you are right.  The "-l" switch is AFAICT
the only supported way to configure logging to syslog in FR 1.x,
despite the comment in the man page.

I guess this is something that snuck in from CVS HEAD (2.x to-be)
where you can do

 log_destination = null | files | syslog | stdout | stderr

in radiusd.conf

Bjørn