Throttle On Cap

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Sat Jul 1 09:16:03 CEST 2006

Hi,

> I had some else tell me that this was the only way I could do this.

Great. So instead of taking the advice, you didn't want to believe it (or back
it up with some reading) and instead bothered _more_ people with the same
question. Thanks.

> General question what are the typical type of models used overseas with
> ADSL.

What do you expect as an answer? "Overseas" has a completely different meaning
depending on where your reader sits. I'm in Germany, so "overseas" is for
example the US. If you ask me" what are the typical type of models used in
the US with ADSL" then this question is indeed so very general that my answer
can only be "lots of". I would even be so bold to say: given the size of the
US, probably every single ADSL NAS product that is manufactured anywhere in
the world can be found in the US. Now does that help you? No? Then please ask
specific questions, preferably some that deal with FreeRADIUS, because that's
what this list is about.

> As a workaround, do you think I could have session time set to 1hr whereby
> the customer will need to log in then during the logging in process, check
> their usage which will indicate if they are usage is over and then change
> some attribute which controls the speed on the NAS.

Sure. If your NAS supports the "Session-Timeout" attribute, send it along with
the Access-Accept and set it to 1 hour. Then, when a re-login occurs which is
over quota, send the throttling attribute (however that is called in your
NAS, check the documentation) with the appropriate value.
But I doubt you want that. Kicking your customer out of the network every hour
for no good reason is not very nice.

> I don't know freeradius enough but where could I do invoke this in
> Freeradius.

Sending attributes with responses is a very basic thing to do. Read the
documentation, and look into the "users" file for examples.

> I also have these attributes specific to the vendor, could you advise me
> how I can incorporate this into Freeradius.

Write a dictionary file for them and add it to FreeRADIUS' dictionaries. And
please send them to the list in that case as well so that they can be
incorporated into the next release.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--
Stefan WINTER

Fondation RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et de
la Recherche - Ingénieur de recherche

6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg