Error on startup: undefined symbol: SSL_set_ex_data

Alan DeKok aland at nitros9.org
Tue Jul 18 18:55:09 CEST 2006

Dave <dave at optionsdsl.ca> wrote:
> types/rlm_eap_tls/rlm_eap_tls.c:        SSL_set_ex_data(ssn->ssl, 0,
> (void *)handler);
> types/rlm_eap_tls/rlm_eap_tls.c:        SSL_set_ex_data(ssn->ssl, 1,
> (void *)inst->conf);
>
> Found in the modules/rlm_eap

  Please go back and read your earlier messages.  The error message
was from libeap, which is *not* the same as rlm_eap_tls.c

  Yes, I know those calls are in rlm_eap_tls.c.

> Something in the TLS end of things. I do believe it to be a bug of some
> sorts either in openssl or freeradius

  I would blame libtool & libltdl.

  FreeRADIUS asks to build libeap, and use OpenSSL.  libtool says
"ok".  Then, when the system runs, it says "no... can't do that".

  Try running "ldd libeap.so", and seeing what it says.

  Maybe what you've done is put OpenSSL into a directory where the
dynamic linker can't find it.