pam_radius_auth issue

Alan DeKok aland at nitros9.org
Wed Jul 19 17:27:58 CEST 2006

"Mircea Harapu" <mircea.harapu at rcs-rds.ro> wrote:
> I'm trying to make a ssh authentication with pam_radius_auth + freeradius +
> ldap
> The problem is that radius is sending the password to ldap in clear and not
> crypted with CRYPT as configured in ldap module .

  Huh?  pam_radius_auth sends the password to FreeRADIUS in the clear,
because that's what it does.  FreeRADIUS sends this to LDAP because
LDAP doesn't understand anything else.

  And there is NO configuration in the LDAP module to send the
password in crypted form.  I think you're mistaking the configuration
that *reads* the password from LDAP for something else.

  And in any case, you haven't said why it's a problem.  LDAP gets a
clear-text password.  So?  That's how everyone else uses LDAP.  Why is
this wrong for you?  What problems does it cause?