EAP-TTLS MD5 hashed Passwords in MySQL Database for WPA-802.1x auth

Christian Poessinger christian at poessinger.com
Mon Jul 24 13:32:22 CEST 2006

Hello,

I'm trying to setup a System to authenticate WLAN users via EAP-TTLS with
md5 crypted passwords, stored in a sql database.

I'm using MySQL as the Backend and it works great when the passwords are
stored in cleartext or UNIX crypt. When i convert the password from crypt to
md5 and change pap encryption_scheme to md5 it doen't work anymore. As I
have to use the SQL attribute field with 'Crypt-Password' in it, it seems
that it wants to use crypt passwords and not md5. I tried to change it to
'md5-password' but well ... that wasn't the answer.

Here is the error:

---------
modcall: entering group PAP for request 4
rlm_pap: login attempt by "foo" with password bar
rlm_pap: Crypt-Password attribute but encryption scheme is not set to CRYPT
  modcall[authenticate]: module "pap" returns fail for request 4
modcall: leaving group PAP (returns fail) for request 4
auth: Failed to validate the user.
  TTLS: Got tunneled reply RADIUS code 3
  TTLS: Got tunneled Access-Reject
---------

Anyone has an Idea how to use the MD5 hashed Passwords in the Database with
EAP-TTLS for authentication? I appended my radius configuration. Thanks.

----------- CONFIG ------------

        eap {
                default_eap_type = ttls
                timer_expire     = 60