Binding FreeRadius to the DHCP Server

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Jul 26 16:53:29 CEST 2006

Josh Howlett <josh.howlett at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> I'm sure I've seen at least a couple of other similar DHCP queries in
> the last couple of weeks. I wonder how difficult it would be to add a
> simple DHCP client to FreeRADIUS?

  Perl modules exist to do 99% of that work.

> OTOH, I think these queries have been in the context of 802.1x in
> which case this doesn't help (or else we need an EAP-DHCP :-)

  No, we need a RADIUS server that does DHCP, too.  I don't think it's
that hard, especially with the recent 2-octet "type" support for
VSA's.

  i.e. ISC DHCPd is huge, complex, and doesn't support leases in a DB.
FreeRADIUS already has a multi-threaded UDP server core with a generic
policy engine, that back-ends to multiple DB's.  The CVS head already
has sql_ippool.

  It's not hard... really.