Assignment of range of IP to a specific VLAN

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Jul 28 10:51:51 CEST 2006

radhika putty wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Is there any way that the Radius server could instruct the Acess Point
> to assign a range of IP Adresses for a specific VLAN. Or this
> coniguration needs to be done in the Acess Point itself. I couldnt find
> any option to do this in the Acess Point. btw I use Proxim4000. Pls
> throw some light on this

Wireless clients on 802.1x networks use DHCP to get IPs. Radius is not
involved.

You can on some APs put the client into a different VLAN using radius
attributes in the reply, and configure the DHCP server to hand different
IPs out. Consult your AP documentation for details, but typically if the
AP uses the "standard" way of doing it:

user1	User-Password := "something"
	Tunnel-Type = VLAN,
	Tunnel-Medium-Type = IEEE-802,