public secret and public radius server. Is it secure?

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Jun 5 09:54:39 CEST 2006

Hi,

> I don't want to do that, because it is too complex to setup. My users
> setup their hotspot by themself (at least at the beginning)
> Setting up a vpn is too complicated. I just want the setup as simple as
> possible.

you are planning to roll out captive portals, with RADIUS authentication,
most likely SQL based accounting and volume/time account restrictions etc.
you MAY have to install a form of proxy to protect juveniles from certain
sites etc - depending on local legal requirements.

compared to this, setting up a VPN tunnel to the central AAA box with
OpenVPN is trivial. Its about 15 lines of openvpn.conf file. oh, and
a 'yum install openvpn' beforehand.

which do you want? security and a workable system, or a hatchet job?

alan