Log files not being updated (version 2)

Hugo Heriz-Smith hugo at heriz-smith.com
Mon Jun 5 16:14:12 CEST 2006

Hello,

I meant to send this the other day, I goofed and just sent the output
at the bottom - my apologies.

I am running version 1.1.1 on FedoraCore 4. I am trying to get
freeradius to work with our SkyPilot Extender DualBand AP as part of
802.1x. This is a very new to subject to me, but so far I've been
able to install freeradius and I even had it running using MySQL
successfully - I was able to test it using ntradping, and it
responded as expected and the logs were added to properly.

As part of the 802.1x setup, it turns out we need to be using eap and
a few other things that I did not have running in this initial setup.
The vendor was kind enough to send me a copy of a working raddb
directory that they had along with some instructions. Because they
were running version 1.1, I didn't want to just dump their files over
mine.I first turned of the MySQL integration, tested again and it
worked fine reading the text config files. I then compared their
files to mine and made the changes that seemed appropriate.

Now, when I start freeradius with 'radiusd -Xyfff', it boots up, and
responds to requests as it should - but nothing gets added to the log
file anymore. When this was originally working as expected, i was
running radius as root. When I was comparing our files with the
vendors and making the changes, my reading of the comments in the
radius.conf file led me to believe I should run it as nobody instead.
My first thought was that maybe I then had permission wrong on the
log file -but changing the owner:group to nobody on the log didn't
make a difference. I then changed it back to root and run radius as
root (as I had been before) but no luck there either.

I wonder if there's anything obvious to anyone in the output I get
when I start freeradius (pasted  below). I am hoping that don't have
to revert to 1.1,but if that's the best way to get this to work, I'll
do it for sure.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hugo

# radiusd -Xyfff
Starting - reading configuration files ...
reread_config:  reading radiusd.conf
Config:   including file: /usr/local/etc/raddb/proxy.conf
Config:   including file: /usr/local/etc/raddb/clients.conf
Config:   including file: /usr/local/etc/raddb/snmp.conf
Config:   including file: /usr/local/etc/raddb/eap.conf
Config:   including file: /usr/local/etc/raddb/sql.conf
main: prefix = "/usr/local"
main: localstatedir = "/usr/local/var"
main: logdir = "/var/log/radius"
main: libdir = "/usr/local/lib"
main: radacctdir = "/var/log/radius/radacct"
main: hostname_lookups = no
main: max_request_time = 30
main: cleanup_delay = 5
main: max_requests = 1024
main: delete_blocked_requests = 0
main: port = 0
main: allow_core_dumps = no
main: log_stripped_names = yes
main: log_file = "/var/log/radius/radius.log"
main: log_auth = yes
main: log_auth_badpass = yes
main: log_auth_goodpass = no
main: pidfile = "/usr/local/var/run/radiusd/radiusd.pid"
main: user = "root"
main: group = "root"
main: usercollide = no
main: lower_user = "no"
main: lower_pass = "no"
main: nospace_user = "no"
main: nospace_pass = "no"
main: checkrad = "/usr/local/sbin/checkrad"
main: proxy_requests = no
proxy: retry_delay = 5
proxy: retry_count = 3
proxy: synchronous = no
proxy: default_fallback = yes
proxy: dead_time = 120
proxy: post_proxy_authorize = no
proxy: wake_all_if_all_dead = no
security: max_attributes = 200
security: reject_delay = 1
security: status_server = no
main: debug_level = 0
read_config_files:  reading dictionary
read_config_files:  reading naslist
Using deprecated naslist file.  Support for this will go away soon.
read_config_files:  reading clients
read_config_files:  reading realms
radiusd:  entering modules setup
Module: Library search path is /usr/local/lib
Module: Loaded exec
exec: wait = yes
exec: program = "(null)"
exec: input_pairs = "request"
exec: output_pairs = "(null)"
exec: packet_type = "(null)"
rlm_exec: Wait=yes but no output defined. Did you mean output=none?
Module: Instantiated exec (exec)
Module: Loaded expr
Module: Instantiated expr (expr)
Module: Loaded PAP
pap: encryption_scheme = "crypt"
Module: Instantiated pap (pap)
Module: Loaded CHAP
Module: Instantiated chap (chap)
Module: Loaded MS-CHAP
mschap: use_mppe = yes
mschap: require_encryption = no
mschap: require_strong = no
mschap: with_ntdomain_hack = no
mschap: passwd = "(null)"
mschap: authtype = "MS-CHAP"
mschap: ntlm_auth = "(null)"
Module: Instantiated mschap (mschap)
Module: Loaded System
unix: cache = no
unix: passwd = "(null)"
unix: shadow = "/etc/shadow"
unix: group = "(null)"
unix: radwtmp = "/var/log/radius/radwtmp"
unix: usegroup = no
unix: cache_reload = 600
Module: Instantiated unix (unix)
Module: Loaded eap
eap: default_eap_type = "peap"
eap: timer_expire = 60
eap: ignore_unknown_eap_types = no
eap: cisco_accounting_username_bug = no
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type md5
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type leap
gtc: challenge = "Password: "
gtc: auth_type = "PAP"
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type gtc
tls: rsa_key_exchange = no
tls: dh_key_exchange = yes
tls: rsa_key_length = 512
tls: dh_key_length = 512
tls: verify_depth = 0
tls: CA_path = "(null)"
tls: pem_file_type = yes
tls: private_key_file = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/certs/cert-srv.pem"
tls: certificate_file = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/certs/cert-srv.pem"
tls: CA_file = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/certs/demoCA/cacert.pem"
tls: private_key_password = "whatever"
tls: dh_file = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/certs/dh"
tls: random_file = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/certs/random"
tls: fragment_size = 1024
tls: include_length = yes
tls: check_crl = no
tls: check_cert_cn = "(null)"
rlm_eap_tls: Loading the certificate file as a chain
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type tls
ttls: default_eap_type = "mschapv2"
ttls: copy_request_to_tunnel = yes
ttls: use_tunneled_reply = yes
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type ttls
peap: default_eap_type = "mschapv2"
peap: copy_request_to_tunnel = yes
peap: use_tunneled_reply = yes
peap: proxy_tunneled_request_as_eap = yes
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type peap
mschapv2: with_ntdomain_hack = no
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type mschapv2
Module: Instantiated eap (eap)
Module: Loaded preprocess
preprocess: huntgroups = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/huntgroups"
preprocess: hints = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/hints"
preprocess: with_ascend_hack = no
preprocess: ascend_channels_per_line = 23
preprocess: with_ntdomain_hack = no
preprocess: with_specialix_jetstream_hack = no
preprocess: with_cisco_vsa_hack = no
Module: Instantiated preprocess (preprocess)
Module: Loaded detail
detail: detailfile = "/var/log/radius/radacct/%{Client-IP-Address}/
auth-detail-%Y%m%d"
detail: detailperm = 384
detail: dirperm = 493
detail: locking = no
Module: Instantiated detail (auth_log)
Module: Loaded realm
realm: format = "suffix"
realm: delimiter = "@"
realm: ignore_default = no
realm: ignore_null = no
Module: Instantiated realm (suffix)
Module: Loaded files
files: usersfile = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/users"
files: acctusersfile = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/acct_users"
files: preproxy_usersfile = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/preproxy_users"
files: compat = "no"
Module: Instantiated files (files)
Module: Loaded Acct-Unique-Session-Id
acct_unique: key = "User-Name, Acct-Session-Id, NAS-IP-Address,
Client-IP-Address, NAS-Port"
Module: Instantiated acct_unique (acct_unique)
detail: detailfile = "/var/log/radius/radacct/%{Client-IP-Address}/
detail-%Y%m%d"
detail: detailperm = 384
detail: dirperm = 493
detail: locking = no
Module: Instantiated detail (detail)
Module: Loaded radutmp
radutmp: filename = "/var/log/radius/radutmp"
radutmp: username = "%{User-Name}"
radutmp: case_sensitive = yes
radutmp: check_with_nas = yes
radutmp: perm = 384