public secret and public radius server. Is it secure?

sophana sophana at zizi.ath.cx
Tue Jun 6 10:42:42 CEST 2006

Stefan Winter wrote:

>Hi,
>

>>>In my project, I don't own the hotspots, and don't know about the
>>>hotspots ISPs.
>>>The hotspots communicate to the radius server though the internet.
>>>

>>  I would suggest using another method to get a secure connection to
>>the hotspot.  Maybe IPSec.
>>

>this is again an example where a RadSec extension would come in extremely
>handy. Short wrapup: RadSec establishes connections via TCP and TLS and
>transports the RADIUS payload over it, so clients can be identified by their
>TLS certificate; IPs and shred secrets become obsolete. Create a dedicated CA
>for your servers, then whoever tries to connect can be checked against your
>CA root.
>Make the hotspots talk RadSec and let them communicate with your FR server via
>this link.
>
>The only open problem is: right now there is only one implementation of RadSec
>in OSCs Radiator, and it could be better coded and more advanced.
>
>I am working on a formal specification of RadSec right now, of which I hope it
>will somehow find a way into the Informational RFC track. There is a lot more
>potential in it than the OSC Whitepaper suggests.
>
>It would be really great to get an implementation of this in FR.
>
>Greetings,
>
>Stefan Winter

I finally found a solution to this problem.
I will implement myself the dynamic ipaddress compatible radius server,
using the NAS-identifier attributes in requests to determine the secret
instead of the ipaddress.
I will implement this in python from pyrad, a very simple radius
implementation in python
For authentication, chillispot uses CHAP which is secure enough for me.
(I add some additionnal secret to the password)
The accounting request protected by a secret is also safe enough for me.
(at the beginning)

I am sure that this could be implemented quite easily in freeradius.
Maybe I'll do it if I have performance problems.

Regards
Sophana KOK