Peculiar Input/Output Octet Data In Alive/Stop Packets

Tim O'Donovan tim at icukhosting.co.uk
Wed Jun 14 11:12:06 CEST 2006

Hi,

The data transfer figures sent in these accounting packets are important
to us because we have capped services as well as unmetered. Without
being able to accurately keep track of the data transferred during
sessions, it is impossible to tell if users are exceeding the caps. This
in turn means that they can receive the same service as the unmetered
users at a much cheaper rate.

I have written an application to analyse the incoming alive and stop
packets to gather the input and output octet values and to produce daily
transfer statistics. When it determines that a transfer value is of a
timestamp type, it ignores the data. But as some user's sessions only
ever receive this type their transfer stats are never updated.

Kind regards,
Tim O'Donovan